Child Support Payments in Ocala

Initial Determination and Deviations in the Amount of Florida Child Support

Aside from providing love and regular attention after a divorce or paternity case, parents have no higher obligation than to provide financially for their children after the divorce. Child support is more important than any other debt or financial obligation, but most people do not know what level of support will be required. A court will determine the amount, and an experienced Ocala divorce attorney can help ensure that the determination is fair under the law. Anne E. Raduns, PA, represents divorcing men and women throughout North Central Florida. Call our office at 888-740-5140 to discuss your child support case.

How Child Support Is Determined

Child support is the most predictable issue of a divorce or paternity case. The amount of child support the non-residential parent pays is determined after child custody, property division and alimony (if any) are decided. Florida child support is based on a ratio of the combined incomes of the parents - the more you both make, the more you both pay.

Another factor that influences the child support amount is the parenting plan and time-sharing plan. If the non-primary parent has at least 20 percent of the overnights (at least 120 overnights a year), child support is calculated at a lower ratio. Conversely, if the primary parent has over 245 overnights, then child support is calculated at a higher number.

Your Ocala Divorce Attorney's Role in Determining Income and Protecting Your Rights

Child support is calculated using the Florida Child Support Guidelines. We can explain the guidelines to you and determine if there are any reasons a court may deviate from the guidelines. In addition, we can represent you in seeking a modification of your child support payments when there has been a significant change of circumstances.

Attorney Anne E. Raduns can help you make sure that child support is fairly calculated. The paying parent may be self-employed or own a business and not be reporting all income. Our firm uses all means necessary, including subpoena of bank records, to verify actual income. If the non-residential parent is intentionally unemployed or underemployed to avoid child support obligations, the court can impute income and increase support accordingly, thereby forcing the parent to get a job.

If your financial circumstances have changed, either party can request a child support modification hearing. If the other parent is not paying the court-ordered support, we can assist you in contempt or enforcement actions. Contact us now for your initial consultation and to get the process started!